Monday, May 14, 2012

Macaroons



Anytime I can find a recipe for sweets that is both diary and gluten free I get excited!  I had never tried macaroons before and this recipe is very easy and very moist & delicious.  I will definitely be adding this to my regular rotation.


 
 
 
 
Ingredients

3/4 cup (5 large) egg whites
2/3 cup granulated sugar
10 oz sweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons almond meal
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

In a heavy saucepan combine egg whites, sugar and coconut.  Cook over low heat, stirring frequently for 12-15 minutes.  The mixture should be sticky and moist, not dry.  Remove from heat and stir in extracts and almond meal.  Transfer to a bowl and let it cool in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Using a tablespoon, scoop tightly packed spoonfulls onto baking sheet covered in parchement paper.  Bake at 300 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden.
The only thing I changed was adding 2 tablespoons of almond meal when I added the extracts. I wanted a bit of substance and am always adding almonds to increase our calcium intake. It's especially hard to get my dairy free son the right amount of calcium!

Stay tuned for more on macaroons...I decided to try another version to see if I could make them more cookie-like with a bit of crunch...although I loved these, as I said above, they are very moist and I wanted a bit of crunch.

Linking up to Take A Look Tuesdays on Sugar Bee Crafts.

4 comments:

  1. Ooo those look lovely!

    Have you heard of http://www.theydrawandcook.com? I've been trying to come up with a recipe to illustrate for them, you should do this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!M! Those are my favorite cookies, I love that these are dairy free, im defintaly going to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love macaroons. As vegans, my husband and I also have to make an effort to get enough calcium. Does your son like collard greens or bok choy? I've been putting both of those veggies in our green smoothies because they are great sources of calcium, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, I'm lucky my son likes green veggies so I give him salads and spinach on his sandwich. He does like bok choy. Don't think I could get him to drink a green smoothie, though! I tried the Naked Green Machine but he didn't like it.

      Delete