Friday, March 9, 2012

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Apple Pie

I've always been more of a cook than a baker. I'm all about improvising and experimenting rather than precise measuring. Since I've been trying to lead the gluten free life I have had to give up conventional baked goods so imagine my delight when my local specialty store started to sell gluten free pie crusts by Kinnikinnick.

 



Gluten Free, Dairy Free Apple Pie with Crumb topping

2 tart apples such as Granny Smith, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon almond flour or meal
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

For the topping:
1/4 cup gluten free oats
2 Tablespoons Earth Balance or other dairy free substitute
1 Tablespoon almond flour or meal
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Coat apples with lemon juice.  Mix together the remaining ingredients in a bowl.  Add apple slices and coat them with mixture.  Put apple mixture in pie crust. 

In another small bowl mix topping ingredients, breaking Earth Balance into small pieces.  Cover pie with topping mixture.

I covered my edges in foil but in hindsight it wasn't necessary.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake another 25 minutes - or just bake for 50 minutes if no foil is used.

 
 
 

Served with dairy free whipped topping.  So easy and good!  We were fighting for the last piece.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that looks so yummy! I just learned how to bake homemade pies, I'm defintaly going to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete